Hurricane Ties provide a positive connection between the truss/rafter and the wall of the structure to resist wind and seismic forces. These ties connect both solid-sawn and engineered timber across a wide range of applications. Some hurricane tie models are available with additional corrosion resistance for exterior and treated-timber applications.
The H1.81Z Hurricane Tie is designed for use with 45mm structural timber framing to provide a stronger connection between the top plate of the wall and rafter. It’s ideal for connections when there are higher-load demands on the structure, like a heavy snow load, and provides lateral resistance in a seismic event. It also suits for bearer to joist connection in flooring and deck framing applications.
The H1.81Z installs with half the nails that are needed for two single-sided twist straps (like the H2.5A) and offers a higher lateral allowable load, making it a cost effective and higher-performing solution to tie down a rafter roof.
The H2.5A connects the truss/rafter to the top plate and is also suitable for joist to bearer connections. It is available in galvanised and stainless steel for extra corrosion protection.
Please check Corrosion Information if it is suitable for your application.
- Carbon Steel 1.3mm thick: H1.81Z; H2.5A; H2.5ASS
- ZMAX® Galvanised: H1.81Z
- Z275 Galvanised: H2.5A
- 316 Stainless Steel: H2.5ASS
Features & Benefits
- Resists high winds and seismic forces
- Provides a secure hold to help weather storms
- H1.81 has a wider seat to fit 45 mm structural timber framing
- Engineered swages for extra strength and to minimise deflections
- Install in pairs on either side of the rafter/truss/joist to provide resistance to uplift and lateral forces
- May be used for general tie purposes, strongback attachments, and as all-purpose ties where one member crosses another
- H2.5A is available in 316 Stainless Steel for extra corrosion protection
- Install with Simpson Strong-Tie 8d common nails or Strong-Drive SD screws
- Use all specified fasteners
- Simpson Strong-Tie Stainless Steel connectors require stainless steel fasteners
- Ties can be installed with flanges facing inward or outward
- Hurricane ties do not replace solid blocking
- Rafter/Truss/Joist tie down
- Top Plate-to-Stud tie down
- Decking Joist tie down
- Structural timber framing